Thursday, May 07, 2009

Gen Y

I've been reading some very interesting articles lately, including "Attracting the twentysome worker." So, even though I'm a generation X-er, I totally see some traits that I share with Gen Y.
1. "They're ambitious, they're demanding and they question everything, so if there isn't a good reason for that long commute or late night, don't expect them to do it. When it comes to loyalty, the companies they work for are last on their list - behind their families, their friends, their communities, their co-workers and, of course, themselves."

I am definitely not one who will do things just for the reason that that's how they've always been done. I am all about finding ways to do things easier, and particularly, using technology to make things easier. One difference is I can be fiercely loyal to my place of work--if I feel that the feeling is reciprocated.
2. "'They're...going to be the most high-performing workforce in the history of the world....they have high expectations, but they have the highest expectations first and foremost for themselves.'"

I have very high expectations for myself in terms of work performance and goals. However, if the environment doesn't foster this (what I would call) enthusiasm, I quickly feel that my talents and abilities would be best suited elsewhere.
3. "And speaking of fashion...the most important decorations, though, are electronic - iPods, BlackBerrys, laptops - and they're like extra limbs."

Guilty. I love my iphone.
4. "They're really not that into 'work.'"

I'm still hoping to win that megamillions lottery.
5. "No one joins a company hoping to do the same job forever....So if getting Gen Yers to join a company is a challenge, getting them to stay is even harder. The key is the same one their parents have used their whole lives - loving, encouraging and rewarding them. What that amounts to in corporate terms is a support network, work that challenges more than it bores, and feedback."

Yes, yes and yes.

Anyway, read the article, if you have some time. It's definitely an interesting read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home