Thursday, June 19, 2008

A New Project


I have been wanting to compost for awhile now, because it is such a waste to through compostable materials into the landfill, where it takes so much longer for them to decompose, and there's nowhere for the nutrients to go. Now that we are living in a house (so there is a place I could keep a compost bin) and we are gardening (so there is a theoretical reason for composting, besides my own desire), I looked up how to cheaply and easily make my own compost bin. I found lots of suggestions, but I opted for using a garbage can. You need to make sure the lid will be relatively secure when closed. I added a bunch of holes fairly equidistant by using a drill and about a quarter-inch drill bit. Then I just loaded in some of the compostable materials I had been collecting (I cleaned out our vegetable draw, which was full of old and rotting vegetables, so that was a good start). Then I just put the bin out in the back yard. Every couple of days I lay the bin on the ground and roll it a bit, to help aerate the materials. Supposedly in 4-8 weeks I'll have compost. :)
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home