Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Power of Locomotion

Mark has been running a lot lately, and badgering and cajoling me into being his cohort. (OK, not so much with the badgering and cajoling, because I've been wanting to exercise as well, and now that Mark has his super cool heart rate watch, we can go outside anywhere and still know our running stats.)

But I've been really wanting to get back into bike riding. When we lived in Jackson way back when, we used to ride our bikes everywhere (it's a small town, so we could ride about a mile or two to the Kroger's and Blockbuster on Saturday and take home dinner and a movie :), and I've been really wanting to get into that groove again. Plus, Ann Arbor has a lot of bike clubs and activities, and it'd be fun to do something like the morning ride to Dexter and have brunch (just one of the various rides that the club organizes).

So today, in an effort to get in bike shape, I rode my bike to work (approximately 5 miles, according to Google maps). It took me between 45 minutes to an hour, which I felt was pretty good considering it was my first attempt, and I had no idea how hard it would be (turns out Ann Arbor is really hilly), or how fast I would be able to go. And even though the ride was not exactly scenic (I rode along a busy rode because it was slightly more downhill, and there was a sidewalk to ride on), it was so cool to know that my getting to work was completely under my control--I was in charge of my own locomotion. Granted, it was some slow locomotion, so I'm going to have to work on that. But I'm excited and looking forward to riding to work a couple times every week this coming summer!

In the meanwhile, today I'm having Mark pick me up because my legs are SORE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home