Saturday, September 30, 2006

An Unusual Day

So, this week featured an unusual day for our household--so much so, you might say there was a gloomy cloud over our heads. It started while we were getting ready for work. I was feeding the cats, and Ceilidh didn't come out to eat. I was concerned when she didn't come when I called, and started looking for her. In a small apartment, you wouldn't think there would be many places for her to hide, but it took me about 20 minutes to find her under the bed. She didn't want to come out, she felt unusually warm, and she had all this green goop in her eyes. I felt so bad for her that I decided I'd have to go to work late and take her to the vet.

So while I was finishing getting ready so I could take Ceilidh to the vet, Mark was also getting ready for work. He's had bronchitis for the past 5 weeks, and has had chronic coughing. The past couple of weeks he's been complaining about sore abs and ribs because of all the coughing. Well, while he was getting ready, he had a coughing fit, heard a snapping noise, and immediately felt excruciating pain. So then I had to change my plans and take Mark to the doctor's first, where they couldn't fit him in, and subsequently, I had to take him to Urgent Care.

I left him at Urgent Care, and took Ceilidh to the vet. At the vet, they confirmed Ceilidh had a fever, gave her a shot to ease her pain and help lower her temperature. They also gave her an IV of fluid since I had noticed she wasn't eating, and they didn't want her to get dehydrated. A bunch of meds, so tasty canned food, and a bunch of money later, we headed back to the Urgent Care.

Apparently around 10am on a Wednesday morning, Urgent Care facilities are not very busy. So if you're in need of health care, get sick around then. Mark was waiitng when I got there. He said they took an x-ray, as they were concerned that he was still sick, and they also thought that he had fractured a rib. Apparently if you have chronic coughing for an extended period of time, this is a frequent side effect.

Off to his work so he could tell his boss he'd be out for the next few days (doctor's orders), and then to get some prescriptions filled and a bite to eat. By the time we were all done, it was about 2pm, and I was exhausted. So I called my boss and told him I'd be out for the rest of the day, and took the crew home.

Meanwhile, I was starting to feel a bit cranky and sick, and I had also missed my physical therapy appointment for the day, so my neck and back were really starting to hurt, and I could feel an awful headache coming on. We got home and converted the living room into a sick bay, gave Ceilidh some meds, and relaxed. About half an hour later, the electricity went out. I called DTE and found out the power would probably be out for another three hours, and we did the only interesting thing left to do when there's no electricity for light or computers or tv or cooking--we all took naps (even the cats, who all piled onto the futon with me and curled up). It worked out well, because around 5pm when we woke up starting to feel hungry, the power came on soon afterwards, and we were able to make lasgna dinner!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home