Saturday, September 30, 2006

Miscommunication

Warning: This post is not for the faint of heart.

So earlier in the summer I went to see a dermatologist because I have so many moles, and I haven't had them looked at in a couple of years (more like 10 years). I haven't spent a ton of time outdoors or in the sun lately, but it's always a good idea just to make sure, particularly since I've had some new moles since the last time. The doctor determined there were three that were "risky" and should be removed. So this past week I finally went in and had the first 2 removed. One was a little one which she "shaved" off. Ironically, this smaller procedure was more painful then the larger one. The second one she removed was on my lower back, and I couldn't really tell what she did to remove it, which is how I kind of preferred it, as I was already nervous about it. This one had to get stitches, and so I knew it was slightly bigger, just from that information. Afterwards, when the nurse was bandaging me up, I made a comment about how I probably had never even seen the mole on my back because of it's location. I was just making small talk, but before I knew it, she said, "I can show it to you," and she lifted a small bottle which contained a (what seemed to me to be) penny-sized, quarter-inch thick chunk of my flesh. I was so utterly grossed out and repulsed that I didn't respond, and driving home I was a little shaky.

The moral of this story is: don't make small talk when flesh, blood or guts is involved.

1 Comments:

Blogger Soon2BMommaC said...

Christy,

This same thing happened to me when I had a mole removed off my neck! It was fairly large, but the doctor thought he could shave it off. As the procedure went on he and the nurse kept saying "YIKES!" and "Is this the deepest mole you've seen in a while?" I was totally shaky about it and nervously tried to use humor to chill out. I made some small joke and then the nurse said "This mole was attacking your neck!" and then she showed me the jar of flesh. She even shook it around and made a gagging noise!

Good job taking care of your dermotological health.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home