Saturday, August 26, 2006

Sticker Shock

So we took Niles and Octavius to the vet today because Niles needed to get his nails trimmed (not an easy feat since he's bad experiences in the past) and Octavius seems to be still sick (he has a cold). Now, what we expected all this to cost was maybe $60 (you know, maybe $30 for the nail trim and then we got some medicines for Octavius). The cost was almost 3x as much though.

Which brings me to my question: Why isn't there medical insurance available for your pets. If I could pay a monthly premium and then have just a $15 co-pay, like when I go see the doctor, then I wouldn't feel so shocked and outraged at how much this very nice but obviously expensive vet office charged us. I mean, I would like our animals to be healthy, and I would like to take them in for yearly check-ups and have them on flea and heartworm medication, and all the rest. And this vet office is so nice, and the people who work there obviously care about animals, and the veterinarian took a lot of extra time with Niles so the nail trim wouldn't be so traumatic. But I can't dish out so much money with every visit! I need to pay monthly premiums and small co-pays.

After doing a quick google, it appears that there are some insurance options available, but the ones I looked at don't cover the run-of-the-mill medical care, just accidents and illnesses.

2 Comments:

Blogger RebeccaL-O said...

there IS animal insurance available! The first time we took Ruby to the vet, we were strongly encouraged to get some, but since I didn't even have health insurance at the time, we thought it was stupid to buy some for the dog. The last check-up we had cost $400. oops.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

I saw some stuff online, but it only seemed to cover accidents and illness, and not regular check-up type stuff. And here I thought I was having a novel idea about pet insurance, when it already exists! :)

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home