Thursday, April 14, 2005

UFO's and that lady on earth who talks to them.

I'd like to take a little bit to talk about some thing I've been reading about lately.

Aliens.

Or rather, aliens that talk to people and tell them about earths impending doom.
Before you get scared you should know that our impending doom had a date, and that date was may 2003, so we should be fine.
Some people may remember the talk about a "Planet X" hurtling towards us and that it would pass so close to us it would either hit us or stop our rotation entirely (causing gravitational mayhem and a pole shift).

One of the main proponents to this belief was one Nancy Lieder. She, among other things, claims to be channeling information from aliens. These particular aliens are called "Zetans" (short for Zeta Reticulans, aliens from the star Zeta Reticuli). The data about the dark planet coming towards us comes directly from the Zetans. I sure am glad they are on our side!
(I serisously can't think of anything to say about this, the story is too strange to be fiction)

Now if you are interested in learning more about her, she runs a website where you can learn other more interesting information called, Zeta Talk. Of particular interest to me were the pages I found on that site that were particularly enlightening. For example:
1) It turns out science is wrong about gravity....
2) How Newton was wrong....
3) The magical properties of crystals.

It is important to note that all of this hyper science came from the information channeled from the aliens.

Now Ms. Lieder had a large cult following at the time before may 2003. When the time came and passed (with no planet x) she changed the date of the up-and-coming apocalypse. Then when it still didn't occur she said (I'm sorry for the paraphrase here, a quote would have better effect) that at this point it would be irrelevant to set a date because it is so close to happening.

If you are a rational person then you might have some problems with all of this. In fact I am a person who thinks this information is so laughable that I just had to share it with you. I mean I can't believe the sheer and absolute mis-information contained in the above links. I wonder if she actually believes the things that spew forth onto her web page or if she is doing it to sell her cd and make some money.

Now, wonder of wonders, it seems I'm not the only person to believe the way I do. The Bad Astronomer (an actual astronomer, Dr. Phil Plait, deals with astronomical misconceptions) has actually had the chance to debate her on national radio (the transcripts can be found here. a funny read). On his site he even has a set of pages devoted to the planet x debacle. And low and behold he has a page set just for our favorite Zetan channeler. He does a much better job at pointing out problems with the whole idea of Planet X than I ever could. Not to mention his site is just plain fun to read.

I love conspiracy theories.... or rather maybe I love it when a crack pot conspiracy theorist has their claims utterly destroyed by rational thought. Yea, that's it. That's what I like.

--- Save a rational thought.... eat a conspiracy theorist. ---

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh thank you for this Mark. I needed a good laugh. It is already starting out to be a horrible week.

*huggles*

--Joshua

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home