Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I'm talking about some serious muppet action here, people.

There are a couple things in life that give me a pure, uncluttered joy. Please forgive me for sharing them with you below:

One is reading. There is nothing quite like being wrapped up for a number of hours in a good book. Now lately I've grown a penchant for historical fiction, however my literary (or non-literary--whatever) roots are set firmly into the escapist bedrock of fantasy and science fiction. Some of the books I've been reading lately are American Gods, and The Ten Thousand. If you are interested in escapist fantasy that is nonetheless intelligently written I have to recommend American Gods. If you want some romping good attic greek killing action in ancient persia then read The Ten Thousand.

Another joy is drawing, and I just set up my computer so that I am now able to sketch to my hearts content. I have a wacom tablet (nerd gadget that lets me use a pen and draw naturally on the computer) and drawing software, and now there is no stopping me! I fear, however that there is nothing more lame than a person who insists on drawing and showing his friends what he drew, even though he couldn't draw a straight line to save his life.

A third joy--and one of my favorites--is listening to music while feeding my inner child with some good ol' imagination time. I'm talking about some serious sesame street time here, people. Using that time to meditate, cogitate, pray (whatever moves you) is absolutely wonderful--and essential to my sanity sometimes. Now don't get the wring idea, growing up is wonderful (except for that whole puberty thing) and necessary, but the inner child is the part of a person that remains open minded, so there is wisdom there to be found--if only you are willing to listen to it. So take my advice, go put on a fun/sad/tearful/exciting song and lie back.... enjoy a deep breath or two or twenty. Step two is even easier... just meditate, cogitate, or pray (whatever moves you). Step three: Repeat daily, and call me in the morning.

p.s. I've got a lot of music I've run into lately and I want to share what I've found with you, however it will be a longer post with links and such so I will need time to set it up. Expect it sometime this week.

p.p.s. By the way. As you can see it's almost 4am. I have no idea what I would do if I still had to get up at 8am. This whole "can't sleep" thing is starting to get to me. *frown*

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, what is up with the insomnia? Lay off the caffeine. My sis takes 1/2 a melatona (sp?) with a glass of wine to help her to sleep. You gotta take care of yourself, man! -- Rebecca

10:25 AM  
Blogger Mark Edwin said...

Dude!

I couldn't agree with you more. In fact I will go to the store right away and buy me some melatona. I have no idea what that is, but damn it, I deserve some R&R. If it knocks me out, then it's money worth spending.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No need for medicine, I'll come knock ya out myself. >.>

9:52 PM  
Blogger Mark Edwin said...

gah! *run away!*

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I enjoy your expressive writing--do keep it up. Thanks for sharing...

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home