Saturday, March 26, 2005

A weekend of note

This weekend I'm staying at a friends apartment. While I like getting out, something else of note happened today. I got an opportunity to actually talk to a friend with whom I had only had a typing relationship with in the past. I was a bit nervous, and didn't know what to expect at all. It turned out that as soon as I heard her wonderful British accent I forgot about my nervousness.

We had first met on the mmorpg Final Fantasy XI, and after many moons and electronic adventures we became good friends. It's always strange to jump accross the digital divide and actually talk to someone you've met on-line. However, I must say that it was a very satisfactory experience, and I wish that all mmorpgs would include voice chat.

I mentioned that she was British. It's unfair the effect that that accent has on the American psyche. Hearing it made me constantly check my posture to make sure it was correct. I also found myself speaking with much better grammer than I normally posess.

If you are wondering how I was able to talk to her, let me apease your curiosity--the person I'm staying with this weekend has xbox live, as does my british friend and they know each other. So it was in fact an easy matter to set up the voice chat. Now on the subject of xbox live.... It gave out on us twice and had to be restarted once. The sound quality was horrible, but I loved the chance it gave me to communicate on a level above "hunt and peck."

P.S. Watching "The Princess Bride" makes me remember there are some very important things in this life.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A CD of said Brit reading 19th Century erotica will arrive shortly.

Or.. maybe just some weather announcements ..

^^

12:47 PM  
Blogger Mark Edwin said...

Woot! I can't wait! Please accept my vote for the weather announcements. Those weather patterns... *shudder*

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, XBL is not the best, but it is about the right price... only 54 dollars a year, and free calls to England. You cannot beat that. Too bad said Brit does not use a PC. I am sure skype or Roger Wilco is a much better method >.>

Teh Joshua (aka Bishop)

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home